Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Week 1 of Sugar Free!

I did it!  As silly as this sounds, I've never actually made it through an entire week of not eating sugar, so I'm feeling pretty darn good about it.  The first few days were tough, and I definitely got headaches.  The evenings were the worst, and my head would just pound.  I was worried about the afternoons because that's when I crave something sugary the most, but they weren't so bad (possibly because I ate a bigger lunch to prepare myself). I've lost about 2 pounds, which isn't bad (especially for me).

Now, while sugar-free is the rule and the thing I'm checking off for each day, I'm also trying to eat fewer carbs and generally just staying within my daily points.  I like the approach because it gives me a way to cheat if I feel I need to (I can eat carbs!  They are not totally off-limits), but by working on not eating sugar I'm disposed to not waste this time eating a bunch of junk.  Monday was rough (Jordan has been working very long hours the last week), so I decided to treat myself to some Chipotle.  I actually had enough daily points for it, and even though it had carbs (because who can say no to cilantro lime rice?) I didn't break my goal of not eating sugar.  But most days (including today) I'm probably eating less than 30 grams of carbs a day.

I did notice it taking a little bit of a toll on my workouts.  I'm on my last week of Insanity (yay!) and not eating as many carbs as I usually do has meant my muscles are getting fatigued faster.  I'm not totally sure what to do about this, except to work to add a few more carbohydrates in my diet, but make them more complex carbs (like fruits and brown rice).

I'm really excited to be done with Insanity.  I'm ready to move on to something else.  I think I'm going to train for a half marathon, but use my workout DVD's for some cross-training.  Anyway, I'm feeling good!

No comments:

Post a Comment