Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Year Ago

A year ago I decided I was really ready to do something different.  After having Lucy, my weight was creeping up again, and I knew I didn't want to get to where I was after Clara.  I didn't want to weigh that much.  I had been so unhappy.  So I decided I needed to do something real. Not drastic, but real.  I realized that if I changed some habits, even if I only lost 1 pound a week, that would be 52 pounds in a year, and that would be major progress, so I joined weight watchers, wrote down EVERY SINGLE THING THAT I ATE and I exercised 4 days a week.

It's been 52 weeks, and I've actually lost LESS than a pound a week (ha), but I still feel good!  When I started I could barely make it through a 20 minute Jillian Michaels workout, and now I'm on the second month of Insanity, with hour long workouts.  I can run 3 miles at 5mph.  I have exercised at least 4 days a week for an entire year.  I've never, ever done that.  Like, seriously, in my whole life. I've never exercised as consistently as I have this year.  It feels great.  I feel like I"m in really good shape.  I can do a push up!  Well, I can do about 4 real push ups and then I'm dead, but hey!  it's a real, military style push up!

Eating is still my struggle, but I've never given up.  I have always, always picked up myself up and worked on changing my approach to food.  I write down everything I eat.

And in a year, I lost 30 pounds.  30 pounds!  That's something!  That's something real right there.  I have more to lose.  a lot more to lose.  But I've made real progress and there's no way I'll ever discount that.

After all my good progress in my eating habits, this month I've decided to do a doozy... no-sugar January.  It's not a forever change, it's a change to see if I can break my serious sugar habit that feels akin to being addicted to nicotine.  But I know I can do it.  I have had success, and I'm getting so much better at not feeling like I ahve to eat all the delicious food right.now.

Progress, people. I feel like I met the goals I gave myself last year.  That feels so empowering, like I can really do anything I want.

1 comment:

  1. That is wonderful Amanda! I have not been consistent with working out since I found out I was pregnant with Janen and the morning sickness came on. IT is so hard to stay consistent now a days. The fact that you did it for a whole year?!I am so impressed! Iwish you the best of luck on your no sugar month.

    ReplyDelete