Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Back to this

Since I last wrote (and let's be honest, I never really got going with this blog, period) I lost 20 pounds, got pregnant, had a baby, and now I"m somewhere between my highest weight and that twenty pounds I lost, hanging around 239.  I'm about 14 weeks post-partum, and I'm ready to start exercising again.  I've been doing weight watchers kinda casually, but now with the new year, I'm ready to hit the ground running and be serious about, meaning counting every single point I eat (not easy!).

But really, I want to write to get down what I'm experiencing emotionally as I go through this process.  Back when I worked with a nutritionist and lost the 20 pounds, she said this to me, "When people deal with stress, many turn to alcohol, cocaine, cutting and stuff like that.  You turn to food, which, frankly, is the least destructive of all the habits, so be kind to yourself."  That has really stuck with me, because it's true.  I use food to self-medicate.  But I shouldn't be too hard on myself, because we ALL do things to self-medicate, to deal with the stress.  This statement also shows what needs to be done: I need to find away to refocus my stress into something else, something more productive.

I read this great blog this morning that highlights it for me: http://thestir.cafemom.com/healthy_living/148844/treating_parenting_stress_with_junk

So my emotional goal is to find something else that can help me unwind like a delicious cookie at the end of the day can.

Maybe playing the piano for a bit?  Love my new piano!
Maybe doing some chores?  I love the feeling of a clean house!
Maybe some digital scrapbooking?  I love finishing a page and knowing it looks good.

I'll have to keep thinking of ideas.  Maybe the best way, for now, is to replace the sugary food with some fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment