Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Food addiction?

So that post from yesterday, talking about how I crave sweets at night after the kids go to bed?  Oh yeah, that happened.  I did great all day.  I hate healthy food, I stayed in my points, and I ate fruit and veggies when I was hungry.  And then Jordan had to work late, and Lucy was up 5 gazillion times to eat because (I think) she had a sore throat, and you better believe the thoughts "But I totally deserve this" went through my head.  And I caved.  And here's the other thing: as I was putting Clara to bed, the thought of NOT having a brownie made me... shaky?  I felt like how I imagine a drug addict who is detoxing would feel. I just NEEDED to get my sweet fix.  I am seriously emotionally addicted to sweets!  It really almost like I can't relax without it.

Now, what to do about it?  My first inclination is to say, "No food after 7pm."  I think this is a great rule, and I've used it successfully in the past.  The only draw back is that because I'm breastfeeding, it makes me absolutely FAMISHED in the morning.  I'm talking hunger-is-waking-me-up-from-a-deep-sleep kind of hungry.  But I'd rather be starving in the morning because I"m more likely to make good choices then, so I think that's a risk I'm willing to take.

But I need to replace that with something, and something active where I'm using my hands.  So watching my favorite show or reading are out (my two favorite activities) because I like to munch while doing them.  I need to do a craft, or clean, or maybe walk on our new treadmill.  I think tonight I"ll try watching some 30 rock on my phone while walking on my treadmill.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I found a "recipe" on the Biggest Loser website for a snack you might like. It's homemade trail mix-- 22 natural almonds, 2 TBSP raisins, 1 TBSP dark chocolate chips. The raisins/dark chocolate help curb my sweet tooth and helps me stay full a longer than a brownie or cookie does. I don't remember all the nutritional information, but it's about 220 calories. I make up little snack size baggies of them and keep them in the cupboard and in the diaper bag.

    ReplyDelete