Friday, March 8, 2013

Loneliness

At some point I'm going to write down my history with gaining weight, but the last few years in can be summed up in one word: loneliness.

When Jordan got a job in Phoenix, we were so excited and so grateful. We had been looking for a job for months, and he got a really, really fantastic one.  To this day, we often look at each other and talk about how very lucky we are that he got this job.  At the time, I hadn't really considered the implications for myself.  I had been thinking about how Jordan's life was going to change, how he was going to have to go to work and work hard, but I hadn't even spared a thought of what that meant for me (ok, except the money part.  I won't lie, I was pretty stoked to get an iPhone).  And then, suddenly, I was at home, by myself, without any friends, just me and my cute baby Clara.

Here, have a picture to break up the words  in this long post.  :)

I had no resources to make friends.  At least not resources I was used to.  I wasn't attending school. I wasn't going to work (the two most important places I had always made friends before).  Church was just 3 hours a week, it wasn't enough time to build any sort of meaningful relationships with people (it doesn't help that Jordan doesn't like to linger and talk after church.  He practically chases me out of the building).  I didn't know anyone in this city.  Jordan was suddenly working long hours, so I'd often be by myself for 10 hours a day.  We had one car, and I didn't always have access to it (still just have one car, btw), so I was often literally stuck in my apartment.  I was painfully lonely.  Clara was great and wonderful, and I was (and still am) grateful that I could be with her all the time.  But suddenly I was isolated, lonely and bored.  So I ate.

It was during this time that I hit the highest weight I have ever been at.  It did nothing to help me make friends.  Now I was isolated, lonely, bored and ashamed.  Honestly, this is the closest I'd ever felt to being depressed in my life.  I soothed myself by eating.  Frankly, it was the only "treat" I had to give myself.  Long day with a crying baby? Have a cookie!  Or 5.  Day been so mind-numbingly boring that I'm just looking to feel something?  How about I make a new recipe and eat the whole thing!  At one point I was describing to a friend of mine how much I relied on food for my entertainment.  I said, "There's almost nothing more exciting to me than a cupcake.  The only other thing I can think of off hand is a roller coaster."  Really, for me, food was like an amusement park ride compared to the monotony of my day.

I hadn't realized how directly linked my weight gain was to my loneliness until I went to Alaska for a month.  I had friends and family to talk to all the time!  I could get out and spend time with people, and it wasn't so painfully hot.  And I lost 10 pounds effortlessly.  The only change in my behavior was having people to talk to during the day.

There's a lot of stuff that has happened between then and now, including losing 25 pounds before I got pregnant with Lucy, moving to a house, pregnancy, giving birth, breastfeeding and making more friends.  My struggles now are similar, but for different reasons, but now I know my big, monstrous trigger, and I"m working on ways to deal with it.  I have friends I can call and talk to on the phone.  I try to take the car at least once a week to get out of the house.  The horrible binging habits I developed while dealing with my loneliness are still there. In the evenings, I STILL want to sit and eat 15 cookies, but by carefully writing down my food intake, I've been in way more control of the amount of food I eat.  I can tell myself no, or if I do binge, I have to write it all down and face the numbers on my food tracker.  This is definitely still a work in progress, but I'm happy with my progress in learning to deal with my loneliness.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Because I"m lame. Why don't you call ME? ;) Love you!

      Delete
  2. Yay I'm all caught up! I feel you on the sweets. Not just while I've been pregnant (though much, much more haha). I always have to have something sweet around. Cookies, cake, candy, ice cream. Something! It's going to be hard once this little rebellious baby finally comes out. It's like you said, it easy to justify it to yourself when you're breastfeeding because you need the extra calories.

    Keeping track of my intake was a HUGE part of me losing the weight from Peyton. Of course I got pregnant again and all that hard work was thrown away haha You know what affects you and makes you eat and you know how your body works with weight loss. It's different for everybody. I have to do a lot more cardio to see results, but I have to do low impact because I have bad knees so I was on my elliptical trainer for at least an hour every day after I did my 30 Day Shred stuff. Also, I was weighing myself everyday and getting so disappointed. I had to make myself stop. I made a big calendar for the 30 days and had a weigh at the end of each 6 days. I took my measurements too and THAT'S where I saw the biggest changes.

    Long comment short, too late, keep it up lady! Don't be ashamed of this because you are working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you do for cardio? How long on the elliptical? I'm finally making some progress with jogging, but I wonder if I'm doing enough to make a dent in my weight loss. So I really loved the 30 Day Shred. I love the way it makes me feel, and I've definitely lost inches from it. I've since started Ripped in 30 (another Jillian Michaels DVD), which is basically the same idea, just with 4 workouts.

      I think you're right, I need to start weighing myself every week. Since the habits are kinda set at this point, I think I could do it without cheating.

      You didn't ruin all that hard work! You're making a (soon to be here!) very cute baby. :)

      Delete
    2. I rotated in The Firm. I have 3 different workouts (each an hour long) and the cardio one kicks my butt. I would do one of those in place of an hour on the elliptical or in place of the 30 Day Shred. Some days I had more energy and time than others so I would do all three or some yoga in the evening.

      Make sure you take some rest days too! You're body needs to recuperate. And water water water. It will fill you up so you eat less too!

      Delete