Monday, March 11, 2013

The End Game

One of the most disheartening things about weight loss is thinking about what actually happens when you lose the weight.  One of the sayings I absolutely HATE is hearing "Maintenance is even harder than weight loss."  Really?  Harder than all this work?  Then what's the point?  Got any other "inspirational" information for me?

Anyway...

I often think about what I want my relationship food to look like when I get to my goal. I want is to be able to eat a cookie.  Just one.  And be happy. And not crave a second.  I want to make my family delicious food that we all enjoy, and eat in moderation.  

More than anything, I want to be in tune with my body enough that I intuitively know when I am truly satisfied.  I don't want to be obsessed with food the rest of my life.  That's my current problem, a preoccupation with food.  I want to put food in it's proper place, there to give me nutrition and bring me pleasure, not as an aspect of either emotional fulfillment or a point of control.  

I guess that's why I get so upset when I hear that maintenance is more difficult than losing weight, because it suggests never solving the underlying problem.  I worry my goal is unattainable and unrealistic.  I suppose I won't know until I get there.  (so I end on a happy note, I'd like to point out I used the word "until" instead of "if."  Go me and my self-assured success!)

No comments:

Post a Comment