Saturday, March 9, 2013

Making goals

I have started to make a different goal each week, trying to figure out what weight loss techniques work best for me.  In the past two months I have tried:

-Eating all my fruits and veggies every day (this was resounding success, and I have been able to keep up with this since)

-No eating after 7pm (a great goal, but one that is extremely difficult to pull off when making dinner for my family.  I need a different approach...)

-Do a Jillian Michaels DVD for 6 days in a week (way.  way.  way too painful)

-Focus more on cardio for a week (I thought this might help me lose a bit faster.  It didn't really work)



There have been more, but those were the major ones.  The one other big thing I tried was to go low-carb for a week (in addition to staying within my weight watchers points), and it went really well!  I allowed myself unlimited fruits and veggies, I just didn't eat any sugar or starches for a week.  I lost the most weight I have ever lost in a week.  The only problem?  My milk supply took a complete nose dive.  It got crazy.  Lucy was up eating ever 2 hours through the night, and suddenly I was trying to recover it (read: pumping like crazy after every nursing session.  No bueno) when I had never had a problem before.  So I figured as great as my body responds to low-carb, that wasn't something that I could attempt until I weaned.

Until I realized there were some other factors at play (possible TMI: my period came back, and I while not common, it's possible for your milk supply to drop in the time right before your cycle begins).  So, I've waited a couple of weeks, and I've decided to reattempt low-carb and see how it goes.  Here's how I do "low-carb":

1. Unlimited fruits and veggies.  Sorry, I just can't cut out fruit.  Also, this helps make sure I am indeed getting enough calories and carbohydrates to maintain my milk supply.

2. Regularly have oatmeal in the morning.  Again, another step to protect my milk supply.  I don't have to have to eat it every morning, but at least 3 times a week.

3. Other than that, I don't count my carbohydrates meticulously  but rather I avoid starchy foods.  No bread, no potatoes, and definitely no sugary foods.  No snacking on sweets in the evening, even if I have the points for them.


I'm heading into this optimistically   I'd love to walk away from these two weeks with fewer sugar cravings and a better evening snacking habit.  I start tomorrow, and I"ll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment